Brussels Sprout Salad
- 1 1/4 lbs of Brussels sprouts (cut in half)
- 1 teaspoon prepare mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ cup red vinegar
- 1 cup salad oil
- ½ thinly sliced green onions
- cherry tomatoes
- Cook 1 and ¼ pounds of Brussels sprouts that have been cut in half.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 teaspoon each of prepared mustard, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt with ½ teaspoon of dry basil and ¼ teaspoon each of thyme and pepper.
- Add I/4 cup of red vinegar and 1 cup of salad oil and blend.
- Put dressing on warm Brussels sprouts. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Just before serving, add cherry tomatoes that have been cut in half and ½ cup of thinly sliced green onions to the Brussels Sprout mixture.
Joy of Cooking
- ½ cup of butter
- ½ cup of white sugar
- 2 well beaten eggs
- 1 cup white flour
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon each of black pepper, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of cardamom
- 1-3 drops of anise
- ¼ cup blanched almonds
- 1 ½ teaspoon of grated lemon peels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together.
- Drop the dough onto a well greased cookie sheet.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes.
Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Recipes for Two
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup diced peeled apple
- 3 – 12 ounce packages frozen cooked butternut squash, thawed and drained OR 4 to 4-1/2 cups fresh butternut squash puree
- 2 ½-3 cups canned chicken broth or home made ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and cook shallots and apple for about 3 minutes, just to soften and coat them with butter.
- Place in a 3 quart slow cooker and add squash, broth, ginger, wine and salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Using a handheld immersion blender, or transfer to a food processor or blender, in batches, puree the soup.
- Ladle the hot soup into bowls, sprinkle with pepper, and serve hot.
In this Edition
Updates from Wendy
Electric Desert by Jack Marsh
Bumble Bees by Becky Caldwell